Friday, November 03, 2006

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program

As a result of my experience as a Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher, my entire reality has been dramatically changed. This change is primarily due to the profound affect that the fellowship has had on my life, both as an educator, and a third generation Japanese American living in the United States.

My experience in Japan as an educator in the JFMF program gave me an intimate insight into the educational system, culture, and history of Japan. My experience in Japan as a Sansei, third generation Japanese American, was a cultural renaissance that has made an indelible impression on my life. Together, these two experiences combined, have caused a paradigm shift in the way I view, and approach my life, which directly impacts the relationship I have with my family, friends, colleagues, and students.

During my three-week odyssey in Japan I was exposed to the many facets that make up the daily life of the citizens of Japan, both students and adults alike. Along with my delegation of two hundred teachers and administrators, I was educated on the various strata that combine to form the layers of Japan’s identity. With this newly learned information, I was able to gain a greater picture of Japan’s social structure, and its influence on the population.

To me, the people are the heart and soul of a country. Together, they make up the patchwork that forms the fabric of their society. In the time that I spent in Japan, I have seen that its people have created a quilt, full of rich intricate detail, laced with history and tradition. For now, I can just reflect and dream of the pattern that has wrapped me in its warm embrace.

Thank You Japan Fulbright Memorial Fund Teacher Program, for giving me a once in a lifetime experience.

Domo arigato gozaimasu.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I simply just say what a relief to uncover a person that truly knows what they're talking about on the web.
You actually realize how to bring a problem
to light and make it important. More and more people have
to check this out and understand this side of the story.
It's surprising you are not more popular since you surely possess the gift.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Useful information. Fortunate me I discovered your
web site by chance, and I am shocked why this twist of fate did not took place earlier!
I bookmarked it.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home