Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th

Yesterday our group visited Kojima Elementary School. Okay, let me begin this post by saying that everyday of my trip has been absolutely phenomenal! As each day passes, I think to myself, "Can it get any better than this?" Well, guess what? What I witnessed this morning was nothing short of amazing.

When we arrived at the school in morning, our guide planned it so that we would arrive before the students so we could greet them as arrived for school. As expected, the students were initially very shy, but it was really fun to watch them march into the school in their uniforms and little back packs.



After the students arrived the principal had us wait in the staff room and provided us with coffee. We all were very thankful for that because we left our hotel at seven a.m. Here is where it gets good. The assistant principal prompted us to follow him to a school assembly. Nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to see. When we entered the gymnasium, the entire school was gathered in anticipation of seeing us. Let me explain that Kojima Elementary School’s student body numbers 546 students. FIVE HUNDRED, FORTY-SIX!

Now imagine entering a room filled with the entire student body and faculty cheering at the top of their lungs! It was like nothing I have ever experienced in my entire life! Words cannot explain the feeling. I cannot wait to show you the pictures and video. I cannot show them on the blog, because of obvious confidentiality reasons.


During the assembly, the students sang songs, performed dances, played instrumental music, and then presented each of us with bookmarks that they made themselves. It was as if everyone at Kojima Elementary School was an embassador, and we were their esteemed guests.

I am about to go meet my homestay family, so I will not be able to complete this post right now. I will update it later.

I'm going to Hiroshima, the city from where all four of my grandparents were born and raised. I hope to be able to find the grave of my great grandfather. Wish me luck!




BTW
Here is my obligatory picture with the school principal, Mr. Yoshikazu Fujiwara


BOOKMARKS




Mr. S

P.S.

Okay, I just returned from my home stay and Mr. Hara and his wife were the most hospitible host family ever. Unfortunately my stay in their home was not really that lengthy because Mr. Hara and I spent most of the day and night in Hiroshima. We did not return to his house until around 10:30 p.m. More on this story to come.

Mr. S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home