Sunday, October 22, 2006

In Memory of Norlando Bioc

For those of you who don’t know, I race bicycles. I have raced for over ten years, and it helps keep me sane. Never mind the bicycles that I ride, never mind the races that I have won, all that is trivial in the grand scheme of things.



The team that I currently race for is actually a memorial team named in spirit after my friend Norlando Bioc. The team was started in 2002, by a friend in memory of Norlando, who was killed 7 years ago, on October 22, 1999. Yes, this occurred during my first year of teaching at La Entrada School. I actually learned of Norlando’s death while at work, on a Saturday afternoon.


During the summer of 1999, I traveled to nearly all of my season’s races with Norlando. In fact, the 1999 season was my return to racing after retiring six years before, in 1993. Although we raced for rival teams, we had been friends for years, and had moved through the ranks of amateur cycling together. We had a bond that went beyond teams. Well, tomorrow marks the 7th year anniversary of Norlando’s passing. Here is an email I received just days before I returned from my trip to Japan.
________________________________________________________________________
Norlando Bioc was a member of Peninsula Velo. He origionally raced with the Twin Peaks/Una Mas team before joining PV sometime in 96 or 97. Bill Fallis coached him for the 1998 Nike Worlds Masters Games in Portland, which he and Bill both came in 4th place (age respective) in the (track) points race. He was a flight attendant and lived in San Mateo. He also was a very positive person in his life and a person of faith. 7 yrs ago this Sunday, he was on a Friday eve ride wth friends and was hit from behind by a small pickup whose driver had let drift right due to sleep deprivation. He died at the scene. He was 35 yrs old. We pass that spot every time we ride south on Canada Rd, at the crest of a hill half-way to Woodside. Because the date is on a Sunday this year, I would like to sponsor a group ride in his memory. It will meet at 92/Canada at 8:30AM, and the pace will be m-e-l-l-o-w. Because this will be true, anyone who has a single speed bike (ala track/fixed gear bike set up for road use) is encouraged to ride it. Distance/route can be determined that day; something moderate. I will look forward to riding with you all on that day, without turning a pedal in anger.
________________________________________________________________________

I will be on this ride tomorrow, along with some of my teammates and many of Norlando’s friends. I will post again tomorrow, hopefully with pictures.

For those of you who have read my blog from the beginning, and for those of you who met me while in Japan, you know of my most recent accident. Yes, riding a bike can be a risky proposition, but the sensation of freedom that it gives me is priceless. Yes, I have had my fair share of crashes and close calls with cars while riding a bike. However, riding a bike is what keeps me sane.

May the wind be always at your back, and may the rubber meet the road.

Mr. S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home